Skip to Main ContentSkip to Section NavigationSkip to Catalog navigation

Alternate Assessment

Alternate Assessment

Student Rights with Placement

Assembly Bill (AB) 705

Assembly Bill (AB) 705 is a bill signed by the Governor that requires California Community Colleges to maximize the probability that students will enter and complete transfer-level coursework in math and English within a one-year timeframe. AB 705 gives students the right to access and enroll into the first transfer-level or first transfer-level with co-requisite support courses in math and English. Non-native speakers of English that might place into English as a Second Language coursework have the opportunity to use multiple measures for placement. See Student Rights with Placement for more information.

Automated Placement at College of San Mateo

College of San Mateo uses the following measures collected through CCCApply to provide a preliminary math and English course recommendation:

  • High school grade point average (GPA)
  • High school coursework
  • High school grades
  • Intended program of study

More Information on AB 705

Please visit the following website(s) for more information about AB 705:

Alternate Assessment/Placement Test Results to Meet Course Prerequisites

CSM uses Accuplacer computerized test for English as a Second Language (ESL).

ACCUPLACER - ESL Reading Skills, ESL Sentence Meaning, ESL Language Use and ESL Listening (Computerized Placement Tests) (The College Board)

Alternate assessment and placement tests are intended to measure skills in English and Math. Students are advised to discuss course placement results with a counselor so that they can assist them to develop an educational plan.

Refer to the course listing in this catalog for titles, descriptions and prerequisites for the courses in the following placement charts. Students are encouraged to consult with a counselor/advisor regarding course selection and planning.

ENGLISH/ESL and MATH placement results, for the purpose of course placement and prerequisite skill level assessment do not “timeout” and remain valid indefinitely. If, however, a significant amount of time has passed since the ESL test was completed, the student may select to repeat the placement test to secure an accurate assessment of current skill level.

Alternate Assessment used for Course Placement and/or Credit:

If English or math course placement has been identified through the use of one of the alternate methods listed below, visit the Assessment Services page and complete the English/Math Assessment Request Form to allow for registration in the approved math or English courses.

For Placement into English 100 or 105:

  1. US high school transcript
  2. IB Language A1/English HL (International Baccalaureate Exam) results with a score of 4 or higher.
  3. SAT results with Critical Reading score of 500 or higher or Writing Subject score of 660 or higher.
  4. ACT English (Usage/Mechanics, Rhetorical Skills) with score of 22 or higher.
  5. CSU English Placement Test with a score of 147 or higher.

For Placement into English 110 or 165:

  1. AP Exam, English Language and Composition, with a score of 3 or higher
  2. AP Exam, English Literature and Composition, with a score of 3 or higher

For Placement into Math Courses:

  1. US high school transcript
  2. AP Math CALC AB* results: with a score of 3 you are eligible for Math 251; with a score of 4 or 5 you are eligible for Math 252 and/ or Math 268.
  3. AP Math CALC BC* results: with a score of 3 you are eligible for Math 252 and/or Math 268; with a score of 4 or 5you are eligible for Math 253 and/or Math 270.
  4. IB Math HL (International Baccalaureate Exam) results with a score of 4 or higher meet the associate degree math competency requirement and allow placement into Math 125, 130, 145, 200, or 241.

*Although AP results allow eligibility to enroll, be advised that if your college major requires Math 251, 252, and 253, your AP results may not meet major requirements for the associate degree and/or transfer. There are many instances when AP results will not be used to meet major course requirements. Meet with a counselor for course selection assistance.