MESA (Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement)
The MESA Community College Program supports students to successfully transfer to four-year universities in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) majors. Students must meet economically and educationally disadvantaged requirements to be eligible for the program. The MESA Community College Program is a partnership between MESA and the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office. The CSM MESA program is 1 of 36 MESA Community College program sites in California.
Main components include:
- Academic excellence workshops. Workshops in specific core math and science classes where students are taught how to successfully master complex technical ideas and principles through a collaborative approach.
- Orientation. New students learn skills to excel as math, science and engineering majors.
- Academic advising/counseling. Students receive individualized academic guidance and develop multi-year plans so they can take courses in the most effective sequence and transfer in a timely manner.
- Student study center. This dedicated multipurpose space is the hub for study, workshops, special activities and information sharing. It is a key element in building a close learning community. The MESA Student center is part of the Science Center located in Building 36, Room 110.
- Assistance in the transfer process. MESA provides counseling, workshops and visits to four-year universities.
- Career development. Students learn specifics about various STEM majors and job experiences. Industry mentors, job shadowing opportunities, career fairs, internships, scholarships and field trips to companies are also offered.
- Links with student and professional organizations. These resources provide mentors, guest speakers and tours of companies.
- Professional development. Through workshops and mock job fairs, students learn soft skills, corporate culture, resume writing and interviewing skills. MESA conferences include a MESA Leadership Retreat and more.
- Industry partnerships. The MESA program offers valuable connections between students and industry leaders. Corporate representatives, including MESA alumni, participate on boards and provide scholarships, strategic planning, summer internships, field trips, scholarships, employment opportunities and other resources.
For more information, visit the MESA website (Science Building 36, Room 115, 574-6601).