Bachelor Degree to Associate DegreeA pathway to the associate degree for students who have already achieved a bachelor degree
Students who wish to pursue an associate degree at College of San Mateo and have already been awarded a bachelor degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States may be exempt from College of San Mateo local associate degree general education requirements. This pathway does not apply to Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA/AS-Ts). Students must still complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at College of San Mateo. For the major, at least 50% or 12 units (whichever is less) of courses applied to the major must be completed in residence at College of San Mateo. All other local requirements may be waived if the completed bachelor degree includes coursework that fulfills the Title 5 minimum requirements for the associate degree as noted below.
Title 5 Associate Degree Requirements
- Minimum of 60 units of lower division degree applicable coursework
- Completion of Freshman Composition (English 100 equivalent at CSM)
- Completion of Intermediate Algebra or higher level math course (Math 120 or higher equivalent at CSM)
- Completion of at least 12 units in residence at College of San Mateo
- Completion of at least 12 units or 50% of the major, whichever is less, completed in residence at CSM.
- Completion of 18 units of general education: 3 semester unit course in Natural Science; 3 semester unit course in Social and Behavioral Science, 3 semester unit course in Humanities; 6 semester units in Language and Rationality; one additional 3 unit course in the aforementioned areas.
Students are strongly advised to use the transcript evaluation service to determine how course work from other colleges/universities can help them earn multiple associate degrees and certificates from College of San Mateo. Please visit our Transcript Evaluation Services page or in-person (College Center Building 10, Room 310; 574-6234) or visit the District Transcript Evaluation webpage.