Additional Information on External Exams
- Issues around credit for external exams are complex. Where there is common use for general education areas as noted above, the use of external exams to meet major requirements is complex and specific to the receiving transfer institution. It is up to the student to thoroughly research this information.
- The chart does not provide information about transfer credit generated by external exams for the purpose of admissions.
- Students who have earned credit through AP, IB, and/or CLEP should not take a comparable college course because credit will not be granted for both the external examination and the comparable college course.
- The chart does not provide information about if or how external exam results apply to major course requirements. Applying AP, IB, or CLEP credit to meet major requirements is determined by each transfer institution.
- At Cañada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College, each instructional division determines IF OR HOW AP, IB, and/or CLEP credit is applied to associate degree major or certificate requirements. Talk to a counselor for assistance.
- Students earning an AP score of 3, 4, or 5 in the physical and biological science examinations meet IGETC Area 5 and the IGETC laboratory activity, Area 5C, requirements. AP exams in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics B allow California community colleges to apply 4 semester units to IGETC area certification to cover both the science lecture and science lab unit requirements for IGETC Area 5. However, for Environmental Science, Physics C: Mechanics , and Physics C: Electricity/magnetism, only 3 semester or 4 quarter units are applied to IGETC area 5A and 5C certification which means that students who complete these AP exams are required to complete a 4 semester or 5 quarter unit course to satisfy the minimum required units for IGETC Area 5.
- Actual AP transfer credit awarded for AP exams for admission is determined by the CSU and UC. The UC Policy for AP credit can be found online.
- The CSU has a system-wide policy for AP and other exams for awarding transfer credit for admission. The CSU policy for AP can be found on the CSU website.
- Actual IB transfer credit awarded for IB exams for admission is determined by the CSU and UC. The UC Policy for IB credit can be found on the UC website.
- The CSU has a system-wide policy for IB exams for awarding transfer credit for admission. The CSU policy for IB can be found on the CSU website.
- External exam policies for UC and CSU are subject to periodic modifications. The information
on this chart comes from the resources under Important Notes for Students above.
Revised June 2017