Veterans and Veterans’ Dependents

College of San Mateo offers approved instruction to veterans, service members, dependents and survivors of veterans and to other eligible persons, and is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students who are working toward an AA/AS degree program, or certain certificate and transfer programs, for benefits under Chapter 30, 33 (Veterans), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Veterans’ Spouses or Dependents), and Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve). All students, except those under Chapter 31, buy their own books and supplies. Those interested in attending College of San Mateo under any of these chapters should first contact the Veterans Resource Center (Central Hall Building 16, Room 150 (650) 574-6675) to discuss how to apply their school benefits.

Honorably discharged veterans with at least 30 days of active military service may be eligible for educational benefits for a period of ten years following discharge. Benefits are also available to members of the active reserve who pursue approved college studies.

To initiate benefit payments, an eligible student must request that certification of enrollment be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs. See the Veterans' Assistant in the Office of Admissions and Records. Those who have previously attended college must file official copies of all college transcripts and military transcripts with Admissions & Records.

College policy regarding Academic Probation (explained on page 14) applies to all students. Veteran students placed on Academic Probation for failure to maintain a 2.0 grade point average must improve their GPA within the following two semesters or the College is required to report a termination of veteran's benefits due to unsatisfactory academic progress (as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs). More information is available from the Veteran’s Assistant.