Tobacco and Smoke-Free Campus Policy
BP 2.27 Policy on Smoking and Tobacco Use 7/10; 5/14; 11/21 Government Code Sections 7596, 7597, 7598; Labor Code Section 6404.5; Title 8 Section 5148
It is the policy of San Mateo County Community College District to provide a safe and healthy learning and working environment for both students, employees, and visitors. In light of evidence that the use of tobacco and nicotine as well as exposure to secondhand smoke and aerosol (commonly referred to as “vapor”) from electronic smoking devices pose significant health and environmental hazards, the District has established a smoke, vapor, and tobacco-free environment.
Tobacco-free resources are available from Health Services, located in Building 1, telephone number (650) 574-6396 and on the Health Services website.
- Smoking of any kind, including use of electronic devices, and all uses of tobacco
are prohibited on all property and in all indoor and outdoor spaces owned, leased,
licensed, or otherwise controlled by the District, and in all District-owned vehicles.
Smoking of any plant, oils, or chemical product(s) is also prohibited.
- "Smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted, heated, or ignited
cigar, cigarette, cigarillo, pipe, hookah, electronic device, or any other device
that delivers nicotine or other substances to a person.
- "Tobacco Product" means any product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or nicotine
that is intended for human consumption, whether smoked, heated, chewed, absorbed,
dissolved, inhaled, snorted, sniffed, or ingested by any other means, including, but
not limited to cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff;
and any electronic device that delivers nicotine or other substances to the person
inhaling from the device, including, but not limited to, an electronic cigarette,
electronic cigar, electronic pipe, or electronic hookah.
- "Smoking" means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted, heated, or ignited cigar, cigarette, cigarillo, pipe, hookah, electronic device, or any other device that delivers nicotine or other substances to a person.
- District managers are responsible for publicizing the policy to students, employees
and visitors, and are responsible for the posting of signs. International no smoking
signs will be posted as appropriate. Notification about the policy on smoking will
be included in employee and student publications, newsletters and in other written
materials as appropriate. In addition, materials that are used to publicize District
public events will include policy notification to the public.
- To assist in the implementation of this policy, the District will provide education
and training in the areas of smoking dangers and smoking cessation.
- It is the responsibility of all students and employees to observe the policy and guidelines on smoking. Failure to comply with the policy on smoking will be treated in the same manner as other violations of District Rules and Regulations and may result in disciplinary action. Enforcement of this policy is outlined in Administrative Procedure 2.27.1. 6. The District’s employee housing program is not subject to this policy. However, the San Mateo College Educational Housing Corporation may adopt similar policies as it sees fit.
For additional information regarding the smoke-free policy, please contact the Vice President of Student Services at (650) 574-6118 or the Chief of Public Safety at (650) 738-7000.